Stuffed Cucumber Recipe from The Art of Chinese Cooking by the Benedictine Sisters of Peking.
Originally entitled Stuffed Cucumber Halves, or Huang Kua P’ien in Chinese.
Stuffed Cucumber Recipe
Created by Recipe Boffin on 02/01/2017
- 450 grams / 1 lb uncooked ground / minced pork, veal, or chicken
- vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons Japanese shoyu soy sauce or authentic Chinese soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch /cornflour
- 3 tablespoons finely diced onion
- 1/2 cup chopped rehydrated dried mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 6 cucumbers, each about 7 inches /18 cm long
- 1 cup of vegetable stock
- Mix the ground raw meat with 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce, 1 tablespoon cornstarch / cornflour, the finely diced onion, the chopped rehydrated dried mushrooms and the chopped fresh ginger.
- Remove alternate strips of cucumber peel lengthwise from the cucumbers. This helps the cooked cucumber to hold its shape. Cut in half lengthwise and then criss-cross in 2 inch / 5cm pieces.
- Scoop out seeds and refill with the meat mixture. The recipe may be made in advance to this point.
- Put 2 tablespoons oil in a large pan.
- Arrange the stuffed cucumbers and add the cup of stock.
- Cover pan tightly and cook over a moderate heat for 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat and cook for another 35 minutes, or bake in the oven at 325 F / 170C / gas Mark 3 for 35 minutes.
- Remove cucumbers from pan. In the same pan blend 2 tablespoons cornstarch / cornflour, the remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, and 1 cup / 236 ml water.
- Cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly until sauce thickens.
- Pour over the cucumbers and serve at once.