Classic Roly Poly Pudding Recipe made with Suet Crust Pastry rolled in either jam or golden syrup.
Recipe from Sheila Lawson for Bettine, originally entitled ‘Jam or Syrup Roll’.
Roly Poly Pudding Recipe
Created by Recipe Boffin on 16/05/2016
- Prep Time: 20m
- Cook Time: 2h
- Total Time: 2h 20m
- Category: Desserts
- 170 grams / 1 ½ cups flour
- 85 grams suet
- Pinch of salt
- Two - thirds of a teaspoon of Baking Powder
- Cold water to mix
- 8 tablespoons jam or syrup for filling
- Put the flour, suet, salt and baking powder in a bowl and mix well with a knife.
- Add drops of water, mixing around all the time with the knife, until you have a sticky dough.
- Mix round with your hands until you have a smooth elastic dough.
- Put on a large saucepan of water to boil. Grease a pudding cloth well.
- Make the pastry and roll out to length 12 inches / 30 cm, width 9 inches / 22.5 cm.
- Spread with jam or syrup, leaving a margin of pastry all round uncovered.
- Brush the edges with water.
- Roll up tightly, sealing the edges together.
- Wrap the pudding cloth around the roll and tie securely at both ends.
- Boil steadily for two hours, keeping the roll entirely covered throughout cooking.
- When cooled remove the cloth, turn the roll onto a hot dish, and dredge with caster sugar.
- Serve hot.