If you’re looking for a high protein recipe that will fill you up, this red lentil roast with low-fat cheese fits the bill.
Dress up this delicious roast into a proper Sunday dinner, with your favourite gravy and crispy roast potatoes.
This is an incredibly filling dish, yet never leaves you feeling sluggish after eating it, in contrast to the lazy feeling you can get after traditional Sunday roasts.
The recipe amply serves four people, and stores well in the fridge for the next day. Reheat in the microwave, oven or air fryer; it even tastes good cold if you’re out and about and eating lunch on the go.
Red Lentil Roast with Low Fat Cheese
- 170 g red lentils
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- up to 2 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil
- a small Maggi stock cube
- 170 g grated low-fat hard cheese
- half teaspoon mixed herbs
- half teaspoon celery salt
- 2 large organic free-range eggs, whisked well
- Himalayan rock salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook the lentils until soft in just enough water to be absorbed.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F / 160°C / gas Mark 3.
- Grease and line a baking dish or tin. I use a round 7-inch/18 cm springform cake tin.
- Meanwhile, fry the onion in a little olive oil until soft.
- Crumble in the stock cube, and mix well.
- Add the mixed herbs and celery salt.
- Stir this well into the cooked lentils.
- Stir in the grated cheese, mixing well.
- Fold in the beaten eggs and mix well again.
- Bake in the oven for 30 to 45 minutes until golden.
- Serve with gravy, seasonal vegetables and small roast potatoes.