Murgh Masala Recipe for delicious chicken in an Indian curry sauce of onions, chilli, garlic, ginger, crushed peppercorns, coconut milk and spices. Delicious served with plain or pilau rice and Naan bread.
Murgh Masala Recipe
Created by Recipe Boffin on 05/07/2016
- 3 chicken breasts (with or without bone in)
- butter or ghee to brown chicken
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- a peeled knob of fresh ginger about 2.5 cm / 1 inch square, finely chopped
- 1 large red or green chilli, or 2 small dried chillies
- 330 millilitres / 1.4 cups canned coconut milk
- 330 millilitres / 1.4 cups chicken stock
- 1 - 2 teaspoons cornflour / cornstarch to thicken sauce before serving
Spices to grind together
- 12 peppercorns
- 6 dried curry leaves
- 1 heaped teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Brown chicken breasts in butter then set aside.
- Grind or crush all spices together and cook out in a pan with the oil.
- Add chopped onion, garlic, ginger and chillies.
- Add chicken, fry off for a minute or two, then add coconut milk and chicken stock.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes until chicken is well cooked through.
- Dissolve cornflour in a little water, and use to thicken sauce to required consistency.
- Turn off heat and let sit for a few minutes before serving with rice and naan bread.