Lincolnshire Fruit Cake Recipe
Delicious traditional English fruit cake made with soft brown sugar, currants and sultanas and flavoured with a little mixed spice.
- 170 g / 6 ozs / 1 cup soft brown sugar
- 280 ml / 1. 2 cups / 1/2 pint water
- 170 g / 6 ozs / 1.5 cups sultanas
- 170 g / 6 ozs / 1.5 cups currants
- 110 g / 4 ozs / 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 110 g / 1 cup plain flour
- 110 g / 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- A pinch of salt
- 2 eggs, well whisked
- Preheat oven to 325F / 170 C / Gas Mark 3.
- Line a 900g / 2 lb loaf tin.
- Boil sugar, water, sultanas, currants and margarine for 1 minute and allow to cool.
- Add flours, bicarbonate of soda, mixed spice, a pinch of salt and beaten eggs.
- Mix together and transfer to lined loaf tin.
- Bake for about 1.5 hours until a skewer inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean.