Ham fried rice is one of the most popular and delicious Chinese takeaway dishes in the world. This leftover ham and rice recipe is easy and quick to make. Add shrimps / prawns and small pieces of sliced cooked chicken if you fancy too — just make sure to heat everything through thoroughly before serving.
You can use leftover gammon, cooked ham, Christmas ham, or even canned ham to make fried rice at home. Choose a good-quality soy sauce — it really makes a difference to the flavour of this rice recipe.
Ham Fried Rice
What goes in:
- 3 cups cooked rice
- ½ cup diced carrots
- ½ cup peas
- ½ cup diced ham
- a few sprigs green onions / scallions
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt to taste
- soy sauce
- shrimps or chopped cooked chicken can be added also
How to make it:
- Boil peas in salted water for 5 minutes, add carrots for the last minute.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in wok, reduce heat to medium, pour in beaten eggs and scramble.
- As soon as eggs are set—but before they become dry or begin to brown—transfer to a small bowl.
- Pour remaining oil into wok, add meat, carrots and peas.
- Stir fry for a few minutes, adding salt to taste.
- Add rice and green onions, sprinkle in soy sauce to taste.
- Stir well till rice is heated through.
- Return scrambled eggs to pan and mix well.
- Serve at once on heated plates.
What to Serve With Fried Rice
While ham fried rice is delicious on its own, you may like to add moisture with a good Chinese curry sauce: either home-made or bought.
Spring Rolls are a great accompaniment to fried rice.