A selection of my favourite Indian fish recipes from the legendary chef E.P. Veerasawmy.
Indian Stuffing for Fish
- 2 tablespoons minced onion.
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced.
- 2 fresh or pickled chillies, finely minced.
- 1 dessertspoon chopped green coriander leaves.
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin seed.
- 1/2 teaspoonful ground ginger.
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Salt to taste
- Fry onion, garlic, chilli and spices in a little ghee or oil for 4 or 5 minutes, then add breadcrumbs and season with salt to taste.
- Blend thoroughly, and use in the usual manner as a stuffing for any kind of fish. If desired bind with whipped egg.
Indian Batter for Frying Fish
Make a plain frying batter and stir into it finely chopped onions, minced fresh or pickled chillies and a pinch of ground chillies, turmeric and salt
Indian Kedgeree Recipe
- Cold cooked fish (flaky fish preferable).
- Cooked Patna rice.
- Chopped onions.
- A finely sliced clove of garlic.
- Ground turmeric.
- Hard-boiled eggs.
- Green and red chillies.
- Cook the onions and garlic in sufficient butter for a few minutes (but do not brown).
- Then add a teaspoonful of ground turmeric, and cook this mixture for 2 or 3 minutes longer.
- The rice and flaked fish are now added and the whole ingredients very lightly tossed together until warmed through. Add pepper and salt to taste.
- Serve piled on a dish and garnish with slices of hard-boiled eggs and green and red chillies cut lengthwise.
My new book The Sensitive Human has more of Verraswamy’s fish recipes including Madras Fried Fish and a healthy Fish Curry recipe.