A selection of my favourite Indian fish recipes from the legendary chef E.P. Veerasawmy.
My new book The Sensitive Human (November 2017) has more of Verraswamy’s fish recipes including Madras Fried Fish and a healthy Fish Curry recipe.
Indian Stuffing for Fish
- 2 tablespoons minced onion.
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced.
- 2 fresh or pickled chillies, finely minced.
- 1 dessertspoon chopped green coriander leaves.
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin seed.
- 1/2 teaspoonful ground ginger.
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Salt to taste
- Fry onion, garlic, chilli and spices in a little ghee or oil for 4 or 5 minutes, then add breadcrumbs and season with salt to taste.
- Blend thoroughly, and use in the usual manner as a stuffing for any kind of fish. If desired bind with whipped egg.
Indian Batter for Frying Fish
Make a plain frying batter and stir into it finely chopped onions, minced fresh or pickled chillies and a pinch of ground chillies, turmeric and salt
Indian Kedgeree Recipe
- Cold cooked fish (flaky fish preferable).
- Cooked Patna rice.
- Chopped onions.
- A finely sliced clove of garlic.
- Ground turmeric.
- Hard-boiled eggs.
- Green and red chillies.
- Cook the onions and garlic in sufficient butter for a few minutes (but do not brown).
- Then add a teaspoonful of ground turmeric, and cook this mixture for 2 or 3 minutes longer.
- The rice and flaked fish are now added and the whole ingredients very lightly tossed together until warmed through. Add pepper and salt to taste.
- Serve piled on a dish and garnish with slices of hard-boiled eggs and green and red chillies cut lengthwise.