Easy iced gingerbread traybake cake made with soda bread self raising flour and buttermilk. Use either ready to roll white icing or homemade icing, whichever you personally prefer.
Iced Gingerbread Traybake
Created by Recipe Boffin on 23/01/2017
- Prep Time: 30m
- Cook Time: 30m
- Total Time: 1h
- Serves: 9
- Category: Tray Bakes
- 8 oz/ 2 cups / 225g Soda Bread Self Raising Flour
- 6 ounces / 3/4 cup / 150g Demerara Sugar
- 8 ounces / 225g / 1 tablespoon less than a full cup of buttermilk
- 1 rounded teaspoon allspice
- 1 rounded teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon treacle
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 3 ounces / 75g /3/8 cup sunflower margarine
- 1 egg
- 250 grams / 9 oz ready to roll white icing or homemade icing
- A little apricot or seedless mixed fruit jam to lightly coat ginger sponge before icing
- Preheat oven to 180 C / 350 F / Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and line a tray approximately 22cm/8.5in long by 15cm/6in wide by 3cm/1.2 inches deep.
- Gently melt syrup, treacle and margarine together and cool slightly while you weigh out the dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Add buttermilk, beaten egg and melted syrup mixture.
- Mix together lightly, transfer to lined tin and bake for approximately half an hour until spongy and cooked through.
- Allow to cool.
- When cool, spread a very fine layer of melted seedless jam over surface.
- Cover with a thin layer of ready rolled icing and cut into squares.