How To Cook Chinese White Rice from an easy method in The Art of Chinese Cooking by the Benedictine Sisters of Peking.
How To Cook Rice
- Wash 1 cup of rice in cold water several times until water poured off runs clear.
- Add 1.5 cups cold water.
- Place in saucepan and cover.
- Boil over a hot heat until the water has evaporated. Do not stir when rice is boiling, otherwise rice will not stand out as separate grains.
- If an electric ring is used, heat may be turned off and the covered part kept on the ring.
- If the rice is cooked on a gas burner, turn the flame very low after the water has evaporated.
- Keep warm until ready to serve, leaving the lid on.
1 cup of uncooked rice equals 2 cups of cooked rice.
When rice is not well cooked it is because the steam has been unequally distributed.