Delicious homemade tomato soup recipe flavoured with a little bacon, celery and herbs. Serves 4.
- 675 g / 1.5 lbs. tomatoes.
- 560 ml / 1 pint stock or water.
- 280 ml / 0.5 pints milk.
- salt and pepper
- 55 g / 2 ozs. bacon
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- a few stalks of celery
- a small bunch of herbs and a sprig of parsley tied in muslin, or a bouquet garni sachet
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 dessertspoon cornflour / cornstarch
- A pinch of sugar
- Melt the butter in a stew pan, and saute the carrot, onion, celery and bacon, cut into small pieces, taking care the vegetables do not burn.
- Add the tomatoes cut in pieces, herbs and stock, together with a little salt.
- Simmer gently until vegetables are tender (about 3/4 hour).
- Remove the bag of herbs and liquidise or rub through a fine sieve.
- Return the soup to the stew pan and add the 280 ml / 0.5 pints hot milk.
- Mix the cornflour with a little cold milk, add to soup and stir until boiling.
- Cook for a few minutes; add seasoning, and a pinch of sugar, and serve.