I first came across this homemade embrocation cream recipe when I was writing ‘The Original Irish Recipe Book’. My friend Pat Hey gave it to me – it was from her Grandmother Lily Beatty’s recipe collection. Lily and her mother Hannah Beatty ran The Prospect Hotel in Moville, Inishowen.
How To Make Homemade Embrocation Cream
You will need:
- ½ pint / 280 ml pure turpentine
- 1 egg
- 1 pint / 560 ml vinegar
- 1 oz / 28 g oil of camphor
- 1 oz / 28 g ammonia
- 2 glasses of whiskey
- A large bottle and a cork
- Put the turpentine and the egg into the large bottle.
- Cork the bottle and shake until the mixture becomes a thick cream.
- Uncork the bottle again and gradually add the vinegar.
- Dissolve the camphor and ammonia in the 2 glasses of whiskey, and add very slowly to the mixture.