Ginger Fruit Loaf Recipe with walnuts, mixed dried fruits and mixed spice, updated from an original one published in a little booklet Cooking by Electricity (undated) by the Electricity Board’s Demonstrators who were based at Danesfort, Malone Road, Belfast.
Things were done a little different in those days (still trying to guess the era). The foreword to the booklet promises, ‘When you purchase a new appliance from your Electricity Board Showroom, a fully qualified Demonstrator will call with you to offer any advice which may be required to ensure that you obtain full satisfaction from your purchase.
Here’s wishing you Good Cooking!’
GINGER FRUIT LOAF
- 225 g / 2 cups / 8 ozs. self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 55 g / 1/4 cup / 2 ozs. margarine
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon treacle
- 85 g / 3/8 cup / 3 ozs. caster sugar
- 110 g / 2/3 cup / 4 ozs. mixed dried fruit
- 28 g / 1 oz. chopped preserved ginger
- 55 g / 1/3 cup / 2 ozs. chopped walnuts
- Up to 120 ml / ½ cup milk as needed
- Preheat oven to 350F / 180 C / Gas Mark 4.
- Sift flour and spices together, then rub in margarine.
- Add sugar, fruit, walnuts and ginger and mix lightly.
- Stir in beaten egg, treacle and milk, blending to make a good mixture.
- Turn mixture into two small loaf tins which have been well greased or lined.
- Bake for about 35 minutes until nicely cooked through.