German Bean Soup
Packed with beans, cabbage, leek, onion, carrots and celery, this easy German bean soup makes a nourishing and filling lunch for 4 people.
- 550 g cooked white or brown beans
- 2 to 3 pints / 1.1 litres – 1.7 litres good vegetable stock
- 1/2 head savoy cabbage
- 1 leek
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 small carrots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 or 5 sticks celery
- Cut cabbage, leek, carrots and celery into small strips and fry in butter with the chopped onions.
- Simmer in vegetable stock for half an hour, add beans, and bring all to the boil again.
- Add salt to taste and serve sprinkled with finely chopped chives.