Genevieve’s Christmas Cake recipe is an easy Christmas cake recipe given to Mum by my Auntie Vie over 30 years ago. I’ve updated the recipe here into metric, and also American cup measurements.
1 American cup holds 236 ml of liquid or 110 g plain flour.
Genevieve’s Christmas Cake
Created by Recipe Boffin on 03/12/2016
- Prep Time: 50m
- Cook Time: 3h
- Total Time: 3h 50m
- Serves: 16
- Category: Cake Recipes
- 170 grams / 1 cup raisins
- 170 grams / 1 cup currants
- 170 grams / 1.5 cups sultanas
- 2 tablespoons brandy or rum if liked
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 85 grams / 1/2 cup red and green glace cherries
- 85 grams / 3/4 cup finely chopped peel OR drained chopped pineapple for a moister cake
- 170 grams / 6 oz / 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 170 grams / 6 oz / 1 cup soft brown sugar
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 200 grams / 1.75 cups plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 85 grams / 3/4 cup ground almonds
- Soak dried fruit in the brandy or rum if using.
- Prepare your cake tin: 20 cm / 8 inch diameter x 8 cm /3 inch deep round tin for this quantity. Line base of tin with 1 layer of brown paper and 3 layers of greaseproof paper. Let the paper come to 2 inches above the top of the tin when lining walls of tin inside. Line outside of tin with 2 layers of brown paper.
- Weigh and sieve together the flour and the spice, add ground almonds and set aside.
- Beat butter into the sugar until soft and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, along with a spoonful of the flour to prevent curdling.
- Now add the remaining flour mixture and then stir in the fruit. Mix all together.
- Transfer to the prepared cake tin.
- Bake in a slow oven 150C / 300F / Gas Mark 2 for 1 hour 15 minutes, then turn cakes and reduce oven temperature to 140 C / 275 F / Gas Mark 1 and bake for another 1 hour a5 minute to 1 hour 45 minutes or until cooked through and springy to touch.
- If cake is baking too fast on top, cut a circle of silicone paper with a small hole cut out of the centre, and set it over the top of the cake.
- Ice with a thin layer of almond icing and top with Royal icing.