Easy little coconut cakes made with desiccated coconut, sugar, egg, flour, ground rice and cherries.
Recipe updated from an original one published in a little booklet Cooking by Electricity (undated) by the Electricity Board’s Demonstrators who were based at Danesfort, Malone Road, Belfast.
Things were done a little different in those days (still trying to guess the era). The foreword to the booklet promises, ‘When you purchase a new appliance from your Electricity Board Showroom, a fully qualified Demonstrator will call with you to offer any advice which may be required to ensure that you obtain full satisfaction from your purchase.
Here’s wishing you Good Cooking!’
- 110 g / 1/2 cup / 4 ozs. margarine
- 110 g / 1/2 cup / 4 ozs. caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 85 g / 3/4 cup / 3 ozs. self-raising flour
- 85 g/ 1 cup / 3 ozs. coconut
- 55 g / 1/3 cup / 2 ozs. ground rice
- Preheat oven to 350F / 180C / Gas Mark 4.
- Cream margarine and sugar.
- Add egg and beat well.
- Fold in dry ingredients.
- Put teaspoonlfuls of mixture in well-greased patty tins.
- Decorate with cherries. Bake in pre-heated oven for 12-15 minutes.