Date and Almond Bars recipe updated from an original one published in a little booklet Cooking by Electricity (undated) by the Electricity Board’s Demonstrators who were based at Danesfort, Malone Road, Belfast.
Things were done a little different in those days (still trying to guess the era). The foreword to the booklet promises, ‘When you purchase a new appliance from your Electricity Board Showroom, a fully qualified Demonstrator will call with you to offer any advice which may be required to ensure that you obtain full satisfaction from your purchase.
Here’s wishing you Good Cooking!’
Date and Almond Bars
- 110 g / 1/2 cup / 4 ozs. butter
- 110 g / 1/2 cup / 4 ozs. sugar
- few drops of lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 140 g / 1.25 cups / 5 ozs. flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 dessertspoon milk
- 110 g / 1/4 lb stoned dates
- 55 g / 1/2 cup / 2 ozs. flaked almonds
- 110 g / 1/4 lb dessert chocolate
- 28 g / ¼ cup / 1 oz. flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 350F / 180 C / Gas Mark 4.
- Cream margarine and sugar.
- Add lemon juice while creaming.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Add flour and lastly milk.
- Spread less than half mixture on greased shallow tin.
- Cover with dates and almonds.
- Spread remainder of mixture on top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until nicely cooked through.
- Cool and ice with melted chocolate.
- Sprinkle flaked almonds on top.