Corn Bread Squares and Muffins make a great accompaniment to spicy vegetarian chilli and casserole dishes.
Corn Bread Squares and Muffins Recipe
- 110 g / 1/4 lb cornmeal / yellow maize flour
- 110 g / 1/4 lb fine wholemeal flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs at room temperature, lightly beaten OR 2 eggs equivalent in vegan egg replacement
- 1.5 cups / 350 ml milk, buttermilk or soya milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 F / 200C / Gas Mark 6.
- Grease and line an 8 inch / 20 cm square tin with baking paper, or line muffin tins.
- Mix flours, baking powder and salt together.
- Whisk together the lightly beaten eggs, honey, milk and oil.
- Combine this with the dry ingredients.
- Transfer mixture to lined square tin or divide evenly into lined muffin tins.
- Bake for 25 – 35 minutes until nicely risen and cooked through.
- If baked in square tin, cut into squares while still warm.
- Serve warm.
Photo credit: Vegan Feast Catering / Foter / CC BY