Connaught Pudding Recipe by the research kitchen of Regulo New World Cookers, 1930s. A steamed pudding flavoured with crushed ratafias, lemon rind and vanilla, and decorated with glace cherries.
- 55g /1/4 cup / 2 ozs. butter.
- 55 g / 1/2 cup / 2 ozs. flour.
- 420 ml / 1.8 cups / 3/4 pint milk.
- 85 g / 1.5 cups / 3 ozs. breadcrumbs.
- 40 g / 1½ ozs. ratafias, crushed.
- Rind of 1 lemon.
- 110 g / 1/2 cup / 4 ozs. castor sugar.
- 1 teaspoonful vanilla.
- 2 eggs.
- A few glace cherries.
Butter a pudding mould, dust with sugar and decorate with cherries.
Melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour, add milk, boil up and stir until it thickens, stir into this the breadcrumbs, ratafias, grated lemon rind, sugar and vanilla, also the eggs, well beaten.
Pour the mixture into the mould until three-quarters full.
Cover with buttered paper and steam for 1.5 hours.