Delicious recipe for Chinese almond chicken. Serve with boiled rice on warmed plates.
Chinese Almond Chicken
Created by Recipe Boffin on 13/04/2016
Restaurant style Chinese Almond Chicken
- Prep Time: 20m
- Cook Time: 15m
- Total Time: 35m
- Serves: 4
- Category: Chicken Recipes
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoots, cubed
- 1/2 cup diagonally sliced carrots
- 2 stalks of celery
- 2 small to medium sized onions
- a few water chestnuts
- 1 small courgette
- 1/2 a green pepper
- 2 baby corn
- vegetable oil
- 280 grams / 2 cups blanched almonds
- 450 g/ 1 lb cubed chicken
- ½ teaspoon salt or monosodium glutamate
- 2 tablespoons cornflour / cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 60 millilitres / 1 cup good quality stock
- Cube the celery, onions, courgette and green pepper and halve the water chestnuts and baby corn. Sauté them gently in a little vegetable oil with the diagonally sliced carrots and bamboo shoots. Set aside.
- Brown the blanched almonds in deep fat for a minute or two, then drain on kitchen paper. (optional - to save calories the almonds can be added as they are just before serving).
- Mix the salt, cornflour, soy sauce, sherry and sugar in a bowl.
- Dredge the cubed chicken in this mixture.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a pan or wok. Sauté the dredged chicken in the oil until it is tender.
- Add the stock, sautéed vegetables and almonds.
- Cook out well until piping hot.
- Serve with boiled rice.