A simple butter beans and tomato soup – if you’ve no butter beans in the house use any beans you please in this soup.
Butter Beans and Tomato Soup
- 1 x 400 g / 14 oz can butter beans
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 5 cups / 1.1 L vegetable stock
- 1 vegetable stock cube or 1 heaped teaspoon universal vegetable seasoning
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1.5 lb / 670 g firm, ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 handfuls of spinach leaves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- Sauté the chopped onion in the butter until soft.
- Add the garlic and curry powder and cook for one minute, stirring well.
- Add the stock, stock cube, tomato purée, finely chopped tomatoes and the drained butter beans.
- Cover and simmer gently for half an hour or so, until ready to serve.
- A few minutes before serving, stir in the finely chopped spinach leaves and parsley.
- Simmer gently for another minute or two, and serve.