Old Fashioned Banana Pudding recipe with a very fine pastry base, sliced bananas in a custard batter, topped with crisp meringue, from my book Dreams and Recipes.
Serves 4 people.
Created by Recipe Boffin on 03/09/2016
- Prep Time: 30m
- Cook Time: 40m
- Total Time: 1h 10m
- Serves: 4
- Category: Desserts
- 55 grams /2 oz / 1/2 cup plain all-purpose flour
- 28 grams / 1 oz / 1/4 stick butter
- a pinch of baking powder
- a spoonful of milk to bind
- 4 - 6 bananas
- 1 heaped tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 40 grams / 1.5 oz / 2/5 stick butter
- 55 grams / 2 oz / 1/2 cup plain all-purpose flour
- 1 heaped dessertspoon sugar
- 568 millilitres / 1 imperial pint / 2.2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 eggs – keep the white of one for topping
- 55 grams / 2 oz / 1/4 cup caster sugar for meringue topping
- the reserved egg white
Make the pastry base
- Weigh out flour and baking powder into a bowl.
- Rub butter in finely until all resemble fine breadcrumbs.
- Add a few drops of milk, just enough to bind pastry together.
- Grease an ovenproof pie dish of around 22 cm /8.5 inch in size.
- Roll the pastry out thinly on a floured worktop.
- Line base and sides of dish with pastry.
- Preheat oven to 200C / 400F / Gas Mark 6.
Make the custard batter
- Melt butter, blend in the flour, add milk, sugar and vanilla, and stir till it thickens and boils, whisking all the time.
- Remove from heat, add in 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk and mix well.
- Slice the bananas and arrange across the pastry base.
- Sprinkle with sugar and lemon juice and pour the custard batter over the bananas.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, then lower heat a little and bake for another 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and lower oven heat to 140C / 275F / Gas Mark 1.
Make the meringue topping
- Whip reserved egg white until it forms peaks.
- Add the 55g / 2 oz / 1/4 cup caster sugar and whip again.
- Transfer this meringue mixture to a piping bag fitted with a nozzle, and pipe neatly starting from the centre of the pudding working outwards. Leave an unpiped border around the edge.
- Put back in the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until meringue starts to crisp.