Corned beef chilli made with canned beef, canned tomatoes and canned kidney beans makes a hearty campfire supper with little effort involved. Cooked in one large pan, this beef chili recipe can be baked off in the oven if you’re cooking it at home.
If oven baking, this delicious corned beef recipe can be baked in small individual dishes or one large one.
This recipe serves four to six people; but can easily be halved if cooking for two to three.
If less heat is preferred, don’t add the chilli seeds to the dish.
As the beef is canned this is one of the best camping dishes because it avoids the use of raw meat and doesn’t require a fridge to store the ingredients before cooking. It’s also a great standby recipe to make straight from the cupboard at home.
Corned Beef Chilli Con Carne Recipe
serves 4 – 6
- 2 medium-sized onions, finely chopped
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 x 14 oz / 400 g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 12 oz / 340 g cans corned beef
- 2 x 14 oz / 400 g cans kidney beans
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- One small red and one small green bird’s eye chilli
- Preheat the oven to 325°F/170°C/gas mark 3 and grease one large or some smaller ovenproof dishes with oil if oven baking.
- Brown the finely chopped onions in a little extra virgin olive oil.
- When the onions have browned, add the finely chopped garlic, chilli powder and finely chopped chilli.
- Drain the kidney beans and add to the mixture.
- Shred the corned beef and add along with the canned tomatoes and oregano.
- Mix everything together well and simmer for five minutes.
- If oven cooking transfer to the greased dishes and cook in the preheated oven for about half an hour.
- If cooking on the hob or gas ring continue to simmer for at least a half an hour until the consistency you desire is reached.
- Serve with a little boiled rice or freshly baked crusty bread.