Apple Cheese Muffins are a popular breakfast and tea time treat in South Africa. Use sweet eating apples and grate with the skin on.
Makes 12 regular sized muffins or 24 mini muffins.
South African Apple Cheese Muffins
- 500 g /2.4 cups self raising flour
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 250 g grated apple (use sweet eating apples, and grate with the skin on)
- 150ml / 0.6 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 250 g / 2.25 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 100 ml / 0.4 cups sunflower oil
Heat the oven to 400 F / 200 C / Gas mark 6.
Sieve the flour and salt together. Add sugar, grated cheese and grated apple.
Beat the eggs, milk and oil together.
Add egg mixture to the flour mixture and gently combine all together.
Spoon into greased muffin tins.
Bake for 20 – 25 minutes. Turn out onto cooling tray.