Everyone loves Apple Brown Betty. Apples, brown sugar and buttery spiced breadcrumbs are the simple ingredients in this classic wonderfully comforting dessert.
Apple Brown Betty
1 litre jug full of coarsely crumbed stale bread
1 litre jug full of sliced apples
1/2 cup / 85 g brown sugar
1/2 cup / 110 g white sugar
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup / 55 g butter
1/2 to 1 cup / 120 – 240 ml water, depending on how juicy the apples are
Juice and rind of 1/2 lemon
- Butter a baking dish liberally.
- Sprinkle a layer of the crumbed bread on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Mix the sugars and spices together and combine well with the sliced apples.
- Lay half of the apple mixture evenly across the crumbed bread. Dot with butter, sprinkle with another layer of crumbs, add the remaining apples, sugar, and spices, and dot again with butter. Cover with the remaining crumbs and dot this with the remaining butter.
- Mix the water, lemon juice, and grated lemon rind and pour this evenly over the top of the pudding. Bake in a moderate oven for about 45 minutes, covering the dish for the first half of the cooking time and removing the cover for the latter part of the baking.
- Serve with cream, lemon sauce, or ice cream.
Check out all our fabulous dessert recipes in our Dessert Recipes collection.