Traditional Almond Slices Recipe
- 55 g sugar
- 55 g rice flour or farola
- 110 g margarine
- 110 g flour
Almond Filling and Topping
- 55 g caster sugar
- 28 g margarine
- 110 g ground almonds
- 1 egg, separated
- 55 g walnuts or whole almonds
- caster sugar to dredge
- 1 tablespoon desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 325F / 170 C / gas mark 3.
- Cream margarine and sugar, then work in dry ingredients to make shortbread base.
- Roll out thinly and line baking tin.
- Cream margarine and sugar, stir in egg yolk and beat well.
- Add ground almonds and nuts, mix well and spread on shortbread.
- Bake until golden.
- Meanwhile whisk egg white until it forms stiff peaks.
- When traybake is cooked, spread beaten egg white on top, dredge with caster sugar and coconut and return to the oven to brown slightly.
- When cool cut into slices.