This traditional German fried potato and onion recipe is comfort food at its best. Fried potatoes are always tastier than takeaway chips, and you can add garlic, chopped bacon or tiny chopped green or red peppers to the pan if you fancy it.
The recipe uses vegetable oil for frying the potato. You can also fry potatoes and onions in butter or bacon grease.
Fried potatoes and onions may be cooked on the griddle, in an electric skillet, a cast iron skillet or in a heavy-based frying pan.
Fried potato with onion is delicious served with eggs or sausages.
German Fried Potato and Onion
- 5 small potatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- freshly ground pink Himalayan rock salt and freshly ground black pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
- Boil the unpeeled potatoes in salted water.
- Allow to cool, then peel and cut into thin slices.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the sliced potatoes and season with the rock salt and pepper.
- When the potatoes begin to take colour, add the onion and fry all together until golden.