Traditional fish pudding of smoked cod, haddock, salmon and rice, bound together with a whipped egg and milk batter and served with a delicious boiled mayonnaise sauce.
An old Belfast recipe.
Fish Pudding Recipe with Boiled Mayonnaise Sauce
Created by Viola on 13/05/2016
- Prep Time: 25m
- Cook Time: 45m
- Total Time: 1h 10m
- Serves: 4
- Category: Fish Recipes
- 450g (1 lb) cooked mixed fish, flaked (smoked cod, haddock, salmon)
- 110 grams (4 oz) long grain rice, cooked
- 1 dessertspoon chopped parsley (or 1 teaspoon vegetable Bouillon powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 28 grams (1oz) butter
- 120 millilitres milk
Boiled Mayonnaise Sauce
- 2 yolks of eggs, raw
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 dessertspoon tarragon vinegar
- 1 dessertspoon common vinegar
- 1 dessertspoon salad oil
- 235 millilitres cream
- salt & pepper
- Mix all the dry fish pudding ingredients together.
- Beat eggs well, add milk and then the butter, melted.
- Steam in a buttered mould (or in a 2.5 pint/ 1.4 litre ovenproof glass pudding bowl) covered with tinfoil for 45 minutes in the oven at approximately 200C / 400F / Gas Mark 6.
- Make the sauce about 15 minutes before the fish pudding is fully cooked.
- Beat yolks slightly; add all the sauce ingredients except for the cream; beat again, add cream, and boil in a double saucepan, stirring constantly till it thickens.
- Turn pudding out and serve with the sauce poured around it.
- Mackerel with Gooseberry Sauce
Mackerel with Gooseberry Sauce is a delicious way of serving mackerel when fresh gooseberries are…
- Eel Pie Recipe with Harvey's Sauce
Irish eel pie recipe transcribed from a rather special hand-written Fermanagh one from 1904 (‘Dreams…
- Chocolate Meringue Pudding Recipe
With bread and milk left over, this chocolate meringue pudding recipe will cost you very…