Eggs Au Gratin serves 4 as an accompaniment, or 2 as a breakfast dish.
From an original Recipe by British Food Writer Elsie Turner in ‘Fifty Egg Dishes’.
Eggs Au Gratin
Created by Viola on 14/05/2016
- Total Time: 25m
- Serves: 4
- Category: Egg Recipes
- 2 cups / 470 ml milk
- 1 onion
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 55 grams / half cup flour
- ground paprika
- 55 grams / a cup of freshly made breadcrumbs
- 85 grams / half a cup of grated cheese
- a pinch of ground mace ( or ground nutmeg)
- 4 eggs
- Peel the onion. Cut into 4, putting a clove in each quarter.
- Scald the milk in a saucepan with the onion quarters. Allow to cool down a little and remove the onion.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour until well blended. Pour the milk on gradually while stirring constantly. Bring to a simmer while whisking all the time. Cook until the sauce thickens to the consistency of cream.
- Add half a teaspoon of salt and a good pinch of paprika to the sauce. If the sauce has any lumps, pass it through a sieve.
- Pour half the sauce over the base of a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Mix half of the breadcrumbs with half of the grated cheese, another half a teaspoon of salt, a good pinch of paprika and a pinch of ground mace (or nutmeg). Sprinkle evenly over the sauce.
- Put in a moderately hot oven and allow to become very hot.
- Remove from the oven, break in the 4 eggs separately and arrange neatly on the bed of breadcrumbs and cheese.
- Surround the eggs with the other half of your sauce, sprinkle with a little more grated cheese and more breadcrumbs and bake in the oven until the eggs are nicely set.
- Easiest Anglesey Eggs - Leeks and Eggs Au Gratin
Easy old Anglesey Eggs recipe made even easier by grating the cheese into ready-made Bechamel…
- Curried Eggs Recipe by Elsie Turner
A classic curried eggs recipe by Lincolnshire food writer Elsie Turner. Elsie recorded this recipe…
- Hamburg Eggs Recipe
Hamburg eggs combine finely chopped hard-boiled eggs, ham or bacon and freshly chopped parsley in…