Chinese battered prawns recipe – delicious served with salad and dips. Cook fresh prawns or defrost frozen prawns and cook according to pack instructions.
Chinese Battered Prawns Recipe
Created by Viola on 13/05/2016
- Total Time: 20m
- Serves: 4
- Category: Fish Recipes
- 450 grams /1 lb peeled cooked prawns
- 110 grams / 1 cup plain all purpose flour
- 130 grams / 1 cup cornflour / cornstarch + some extra to coat prawns
- 1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
- 1 level teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon monosodium glutamate
- Up to 1 cup / 236 ml water ( just enough to make a smooth batter)
- 1 egg, beaten until frothy
- Oil for deep frying
- Sieve flour, cornstarch , baking powder, into a bowl.
- Mix in salt , pepper and monosodium glutamate.
- Whip half of the water with the frothy egg and add to the dry ingredients, whisking in with a fork. Add more of the water as needed until you have a smooth slightly thick batter.
- Dip the prawns in a little cornflour. Coat the dipped prawns thickly in the batter and deep fry at 375F / 190C until golden.
Photo credit: Matthias Sebulke
- Chinese Pork Meatballs Recipe
This authentic Chinese pork meatballs recipe is also known as Lion’s Head Meatballs, and is…
- Braised Chinese Mushrooms Recipe
Easy vegan recipe for braised Chinese style mushrooms. Dried mushrooms are handy to keep in…
- Chinese Crab Soup Recipe
Crab Soup – P’ang T’ang soup recipe from The Art of Chinese Cooking by the…